(1) This Convention shall apply to taxes on income and on capital imposed on behalf of a Contracting State or of its political subdivisions or local authorities, irrespective of the manner in which they are levied.
(2) There shall be regarded as taxes on income and on capital all taxes imposed on total income, on total capital, or on elements of income or of capital, including taxes on gains from the alienation of movable or immovable property, as well as taxes on capital appreciation.
(3) The existing taxes to which the Convention shall apply are in particular:
- (a) in Iceland:
- (i) the income taxes to the state (tekjuskattar ríkissjóðs);
- (ii) the net wealth taxes to the state (eignarskattar ríkissjóðs); and
- (iii) the income tax to the municipalities (útsvar til sveitarfélaganna);
- (b) in Austria:
- (i) the income tax (die Einkommensteuer);
- (ii) the corporation tax (die Korperschaftsteuer);
(4) The Convention shall apply also to any identical or substantially similar taxes that are imposed after the date of signature of the Convention in addition to, or in place of, the existing taxes. The competent authorities of the Contracting States shall notify each other of any significant changes that have been made in their taxation laws.