(1) Interest arising in a Contracting State and paid to a resident of the other Contracting State may be taxed in that other State.
(2) However, such interest may also be taxed in the Contracting State in which it arises and according to the laws of that State, but if the beneficial owner of the interest is a resident of the other Contracting State, the tax so charged shall not exceed 10 percent of the gross amount of the interest.
(3) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (2):
- (a) interest arising in the Federal Republic of Germany and paid to the Government of the Syrian Arab Republic or the Central Bank of the Syrian Arab Republic shall be taxable only in the Syrian Arab Republic;
- (b) interest arising in the Syrian Arab Republic and paid in consideration of a loan guaranteed by the Federal Republic of Germany in respect of export or foreign direct investment or paid to the Government of the Federal Republic of Germany, the Deutsche Bundesbank, the Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau or the Deutsche Investitions-und Entwicklungsgesellschaft which is controlled by and acting on behalf of the Federal Republic of Germany shall be taxable only in the Federal Republic of Germany.
(4) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (2), interest as referred to in paragraph (1) may be taxed only in the Contracting State of which the recipient is a resident if the recipient is the beneficial owner of the interest and the interest is paid:
- (a) in connection with the sale of commercial or scientific equipment on credit,
- (b) in connection with the sale of goods by an enterprise to another enterprise on credit, or
- (c) for a loan of any kind made by a bank.
(5) The term "interest" as used in this Article means income from debt-claims of every kind, whether or not secured by mortgage, and in particular, income from government securities and income from bonds or debentures, including premiums and prizes attaching to such securities, bonds or debentures. Penalty charges for late payment shall not be regarded as interest for the purpose of this Article.
(6) The provisions of paragraphs (1) to (4) shall not apply if the beneficial owner of the interest, being a resident of a Contracting State, carries on business in the other Contracting State in which the interest arises, through a permanent establishment situated therein or performs in that other State independent personal services from a fixed base situated therein and the debt-claim in respect of which the interest is paid is effectively connected with such permanent establishment or fixed base. In such case the provisions of Article 7 or 14 shall apply.
(7) Interest shall be deemed to arise in a Contracting State when the payer is a resident of that State. Where, however, the person paying the interest, whether he is a resident of a Contracting State or not, has in a Contracting State a permanent establishment or a fixed base in connection with which the indebtedness on which the interest is paid was incurred, and such interest is borne by such permanent establishment or fixed base, then such interest shall be deemed to arise in the State in which the permanent establishment or fixed base is situated.
(8) Where, by reason of a special relationship between the payer and the beneficial owner or between both of them and some other person, the amount of the interest, having regard to the debt-claim for which it is paid, exceeds the amount which would have been agreed upon by the payer and the beneficial owner in the absence of such relationship, the provisions of this Article shall apply only to the last-mentioned amount. In such case, the excess part of the payments shall remain taxable according to the laws of each Contracting State, due regard being had to the other provisions of this Agreement.