(1) For the purposes of this Convention, unless the context otherwise requires:
- (a) the term "Portugal" means the territory of the Portuguese Republic as delimited in accordance with its domestic law and International Law, including the inland waters and the territorial sea thereof as well as any other area wherein the Portuguese Republic has sovereign rights or jurisdiction;
- (b) the term "San Marino" means the territory of the Republic of San Marino as delimited in accordance with its domestic law and the International Law, including any other area wherein the Republic of San Marino has sovereign rights or jurisdiction;
- (c) the terms "a Contracting State" and "the other Contracting State" mean Portugal or San Marino as the context requires,
- (d) the term "person" includes an individual, a company and any other body of persons;
- (e) the term "company" means any body corporate or any entity that is treated as a body corporate for tax purposes,
- (f) the terms "enterprise of a Contracting State" and "enterprise of the other Contracting State" mean respectively an enterprise carried on by a resident of a Contracting State and an enterprise carried on by a resident of the other Contracting State;
- (g) the term "international traffic" means any transport by a ship or aircraft operated by an enterprise that has its place of effective management in a Contracting State, except when the ship or aircraft is operated solely between places in the other Contracting State;
- (h) the term "competent authority" means:
- (i) in Portugal: the Minister of Finance, the Director General of Taxation (Director-Geral dos Impostos) or their authorized representative;
- (ii) in San Marino, the Minister of Finance or his authorized representative;
- (i) the term "national" means:
- (i) any individual possessing the nationality of a Contracting State;
- (ii) any legal person, partnership or association deriving its status as such from the laws in force in a Contracting State.
(2) As regards the application of the Convention at any time by a Contracting State, any term not defined therein shall, unless the context otherwise requires, have the meaning that it has at that time under the law of that State for the purposes of the taxes to which the Convention applies, any meaning under the applicable tax laws of that State prevailing over a meaning given to the term under other laws of that State.