(1) For the purposes of this Convention, unless the context otherwise requires:
- (a) the term "Malta" means the Republic of Malta and, when used in a geographical sense, means the Island of Malta, the Island of Gozo and the other islands of the Maltese archipelago including the territorial waters thereof, as well as any area of the seabed, its subsoil and the superjacent water column adjacent to the territorial waters, wherein Malta exercises sovereign rights, jurisdiction, or control in accordance with international law and its national law, including its legislation relating to the exploration of the continental shelf and exploitation of its natural resources;
- (b) the term "San Marino" means the Republic of San Marino and, when used in a geographical sense, means the territory of the Republic of San Marino, including any other area within which the Republic of San Marino, in accordance with international law, exercises sovereign rights or its jurisdiction;
- (c) the terms "a Contracting State" and "the other Contracting State" mean Malta or San Marino, as the context requires;
- (d) the term "person" includes an individual, a company and any other body of persons;
- (e) the term "company" means anybody corporate or any entity that is treated as a body corporate for tax purposes;
- (f) the terms "enterprise of a Contracting State" and "enterprise of the other Contracting State" mean respectively an enterprise carried on by a resident of a Contracting State and an enterprise carried on by a resident of the other Contracting State;
- (g) the term "international traffic" means any transport by a ship or aircraft operated by an enterprise of a Contracting State, except when the ship or aircraft is operated solely between places in the other Contracting State;
- (h) the term "competent authority" means:
- (i) in Malta: the Minister responsible for finance or his authorised representative;
- (ii) in San Marino: the Ministry of Finance;
- (i) the term "national" means:
- (i) any individual possessing the nationality of a Contracting State;
- (ii) any legal person, partnership or association deriving its status as such from the laws in force in a Contracting State.
(2) As regards the application of the Convention at any time by a Contracting State, any term not defined therein shall, unless the context otherwise requires, have the meaning that it has at that time under the law of that State for the purposes of the taxes to which the Convention applies, any meaning under the applicable tax laws of that State prevailing over a meaning given to the term under other laws of that State.