(1) This Convention shall apply to taxes on income and on capital imposed on behalf of a Contracting State or of its political subdivisions or local authorities, irrespective of the manner in which they are levied.
(2) There shall be regarded as taxes on income and on capital all taxes imposed on total income, on total capital, or on elements of income or of capital, including taxes on gains from the alienation of movable or immovable property, taxes on the total amounts of wages or salaries paid by enterprises, as well as taxes on capital appreciation.
(3) The existing taxes to which the Convention shall apply are in particular:
- (a) in Austria:
- (i) the income tax (die Einkommensteuer);
- (ii) the corporation tax (die Körperschaftsteuer);
- (iii) the land tax (die Grundsteuer);
- (iv) the tax on agricultural and forestry enterprises (die Abgabe von land- und forstwirtschaftlichen Betrieben);
- (v) the tax on the value of vacant plots (die Abgabe vom Bodenwert bei unbebauten Grundstücken);
- (b) in San Marino:
- the general income tax (Imposta Generale sui Redditi) which is levied:
- (1) on individuals;
- (2) on bodies corporate and proprietorships;
- even if collected through a withholding tax.
(4) The Convention shall apply also to any identical or substantially similar taxes that are imposed after the date of signature of the Convention in addition to, or in place of, the existing taxes. The competent authorities of the Contracting States shall notify each other of any significant changes that have been made in their taxation laws.