(1) Interest arising in a Contracting State and beneficially owned by a resident of the other Contracting State shall be taxable only in that other State.
(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (1), the United States may tax an excess inclusion with respect to a residual interest in a Real Estate Mortgage Investment Conduit in accordance with its domestic law.
(3) The term "interest" as used in this Convention means income from debt-claims of every kind, whether or not secured by mortgage and, subject to paragraph (4) of Article 10 (Dividends), whether or not carrying a right to participate in the debtor's profits, and in particular, income from government securities, and income from bonds or debentures, including premiums or prizes attaching to such securities, bonds, or debentures, as well as all other income that is treated as income from money lent by the taxation law of the Contracting State in which the income arises.
(4) The provisions of paragraph (1) shall not apply if the beneficial owner of the interest, being a resident of a Contracting State, carries on or has carried on business in the other Contracting State, in which the interest arises, through a permanent establishment situated therein, or performs or has performed in that other State independent personal services from a fixed base situated therein, and the interest is attributable to such permanent establishment or fixed base. In such case the provisions of Article 7 (Business Profits) or Article 14 (Independent Personal Services), as the case may be, shall apply.
(5) Interest shall be deemed to arise in a Contracting State when the payer is a resident of that State. Where, however, the person paying the interest, whether he is a resident of a Contracting State or not, has in a Contracting State a permanent establishment or a fixed base, and such interest is borne by such permanent establishment or fixed base, then such interest shall be deemed to arise in the State in which the permanent establishment or fixed base is situated.
(6) Where, by reason of a special relationship between the payer and the beneficial owner or between both of them and some other person, the amount of the interest, having regard to the debt-claim for which it is paid, exceeds the amount which would have been agreed upon by the payer and the beneficial owner in the absence of such relationship, the provisions of this Article shall apply only to the last-mentioned amount. In such case the excess part of the payments shall remain taxable according to the laws of each Contracting State, due regard being had to the other provisions of the Convention.