(1) For the purposes of this Agreement, unless the context otherwise requires:
- (a) the term "Slovakia", means the Slovak Republic and, used in a geographical sense, means its territory, within which the Slovak Republic exercises its sovereign rights and jurisdiction, in accordance with the rules of international law;
- (b) the term "Singapore", means the territory of the Republic of Singapore, the territorial waters of Singapore and the sea-bed and subsoil of the territorial waters; and when used in a geographical sense includes any area extending beyond the limits of the territorial waters of Singapore, and the sea-bed and subsoil of any such area, which has been or may hereafter be designated under the laws of Singapore and in accordance with international law as an area over which Singapore has sovereign rights for the purposes of exploring and exploiting the natural resources, whether living or non-living;
- (c) the terms "a Contracting State" and "the other Contracting State" mean Slovakia or Singapore as the context requires;
- (d) the term "person" includes an individual, a company and any other body of persons;
- (e) the term "company" means anybody corporate or any entity which is treated as a body corporate for tax purposes;
- (f) the terms "enterprise of a Contracting State" and "enterprise of the other Contracting State" mean respectively an enterprise carried on by a resident of a Contracting State and an enterprise carried on by a resident of the other Contracting State;
- (g) the term "international traffic" means any transport by a ship or aircraft operated by an enterprise which has its place of effective management in a Contracting State, except when the ship or aircraft is operated solely between places in the other Contracting State;
- (h) the term "competent authority" means:
- (i) in Slovakia, the Minister of Finance or his authorised representatives;
- (ii) in Singapore, the Minister for Finance or his authorised representatives;
- (i) the term "national" means:
- (i) any individual possessing the nationality of a Contracting State;
- (ii) any legal person, partnership or association deriving its status as such from the domestic laws in force in a Contracting State.
(2) As regards the application of the Agreement at any time by a Contracting State, any term not defined therein shall, unless the context otherwise requires, have the meaning that it has at that time under the law of that State for the purposes of the taxes to which the Agreement applies, any meaning under the applicable tax laws of that State prevailing over a meaning given to the term under other laws of that State.