(1) Dividends paid by a company which is a resident of a Contracting State to a resident of the other Contracting State may be taxed in that other State.
(2) However, such dividends may be taxed in the Contracting State of which the company paying the dividends is a resident, and according to the law of that State, but the tax so charged shall not exceed 10 per cent of the gross amount of the dividends.
(3) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (2), the Contracting State of which the company is a resident shall not levy a tax on dividends paid by that company to a company the capital of which is wholly or partly divided into shares and which is a resident of the other Contracting State and holds directly at least 25 per cent of the capital of the company paying the dividends.
(4) The competent authorities of the Contracting States shall by mutual agreement settle the mode of application of paragraphs 2 and 3.
(5) The provisions of paragraphs 2 and 3 shall not affect the taxation of the company in respect of the profits out of which the dividends are paid.
(6) The term "dividends" as used in this Article means income from shares or other rights, not being debt-claims, participating in profits, as well as income from other corporate rights which is subject to the same taxation treatment as income from shares by the taxation law of the State of which the company making the distribution is a resident.
(7) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (1), dividends paid by a company being a resident of a Contracting State to a company which is a resident of the other Contracting State shall be exempt from tax in that other State to the extent that the dividends would have been exempt under the law of that State if both companies had been residents of that State.
(8) The provisions of paragraphs (1), (2) and (3) shall not apply if the recipient of the dividends, being a resident of a Contracting State, carries on business in the other Contracting State of which the company paying the dividends is a resident, through a permanent establishment situated therein, or performs in that other State professional services from a fixed base situated therein and the holding in respect of which the dividends are paid is effectively connected with such permanent establishment or fixed base. In such a case, the provisions of Article 7 or Article 14, as the case may be, shall apply.
(9) Where a company which is a resident of a Contracting State derives profits or income from the other Contracting State, that other State may not impose any tax on dividends paid by the company to persons who are not residents of that other State, or subject the company's undistributed profits to a tax on undistributed profits, even if the dividends paid, or the undistributed profits consist wholly or partly of profits or income arising in that other State.