(1) Interest arising in a Contracting State and paid to a resident of the other Contracting State may be taxed in that other Contracting State.
(2) However, such interest may also be taxed in the Contracting State in which it arises and according to the laws of that Contracting State, but if the recipient is the beneficial owner of the interest, the tax so charged shall not exceed 7.5 per cent of the gross amount of the interest.
(3) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (2), interest arising in a Contracting State and derived by the other Contracting State, a political subdivision or a local authority thereof, the Central Bank or Foreign Trade Bank and other banks owned by the Government or state agencies on guarantee for export credits or any other public institution of the other Contracting State, shall be exempted from tax in the Contracting State.
(4) The term "interest" as used in this Article means income from debt-claims of every kind, whether or not secured by mortgage and whether or not carrying a right to participate in the debtor's profits, and in particular, income from government securities and income from bonds or debentures, including premiums and prizes attaching to such securities, bonds or debentures. Penalty charges for late payment shall not be regarded as interest for the purpose of this Article.
(5) The provisions of paragraphs (1) and (2) shall not apply if the beneficial owner of the interest, being a resident of a Contracting State, carries on business in the other Contracting State in which the interest arises, through a permanent establishment situated therein, or performs in that other Contracting State independent personal services from a fixed base situated therein, and the debt-claim in respect of which the interest is paid is effectively connected with such permanent establishment or fixed base. In such case the provisions of Articles 7 or 14 of this Agreement, as the case may be, shall apply.
(6) Interest shall be deemed to arise in a Contracting State when the payer is that Contracting State itself, a political subdivision, a local authority or a resident of that Contracting State. Where, however, the person paying the interest, whether he is a resident of a Contracting State or not, has in a Contracting State a permanent establishment or a fixed base in connection with which the indebtedness on which the interest is paid was incurred, and such interest is borne by such permanent establishment or fixed base then such interest shall be deemed to arise in the Contracting State in which the permanent establishment or fixed base is situated.
(7) Where by reason of a special relationship between the payer and the beneficial owner or between both of them and some other person, the amount of the interest, having regard to the debt-claim for which it is paid, exceeds the amount which would have been agreed upon by the payer and the beneficial owner in the absence of such relationship, the provisions of this Article shall apply only to the last-mentioned amount. In such case the excess part of the payments shall remain taxable according to the laws of each Contracting State, due regard being had to the other provisions of this Agreement.