(1) For the purposes of this Agreement, the term "resident of a Contracting State" means any person who under the laws of the State is liable to tax therein by reason of his residence, domicile, place of registration, or any other criterion of a similar nature, and also includes that State and any local authority or administrative-territorial units, thereof. This term, however, does not include any person who is liable to tax in that State in respect only of income from sources in that State or capital situated therein.
(2) Where by reason of the provisions of paragraph 1 of this Article, an individual is a resident of both Contracting States, then his status shall be determined as follows:
- (a) he shall be deemed to be a resident of the State in which he has a permanent home available to him. If he has a permanent home available to him in both States, he shall be deemed to be a resident of the State with which his personal and economic relations are closer (center of vital interests);
- (b) if the State in which he has his center of vital interests cannot be determined, or if he has not a permanent home available to him in either State, he shall be deemed to be a resident of the Contracting State in which he has an habitual abode;
- (c) if he has an habitual abode in both Contracting States or in neither of them, he shall be deemed to be a resident of the State of which he is a national;
- (d) if he is a national of neither of the States, and or if under the previous paragraphs, he may not be deemed a resident of one of the Contracting States, then the competent authorities of the Contracting States shall settle the question by mutual agreement.
(3) Where, by reason of the provisions of paragraph 1, a person other than an individual is a resident of both Contracting States, then it shall be deemed to be a resident of the State in which its registered office is situated.