(1) For the purposes of this Agreement, unless the context otherwise requires, the meanings of the terms are as follows:
- (i) the term "Islamic Republic of Iran" means the territory under the sovereignty and/or jurisdiction of the Islamic Republic of Iran;
- (ii) the term "Cyprus" means the Republic of Cyprus and, when used in a geographical sense, includes the national territory, the territorial sea thereof as well as any area outside the territorial sea, including the contiguous zone, the exclusive economic zone and the continental shelf, which has been or may hereafter be designated, under the laws of Cyprus and in accordance with international law, as an area within which Cyprus may exercise sovereign rights or jurisdiction;
- (b) the term "a Contracting State" and "the other Contracting State" mean the Islamic Republic of Iran or the Republic of Cyprus, as the context requires;
- (c) the term "person" means:
- (i) an individual,
- (ii) a company or any other body of persons;
- (d) the term "company" means any body corporate or any entity, which is treated as a body corporate for tax purposes;
- (e) the terms "enterprise of a Contracting State" and "enterprise of the other Contracting State" mean respectively an enterprise carried on by a resident of a Contracting State and an enterprise carried on by a resident of the other Contracting State;
- (f) the term "international traffic" means any transport by a ship or aircraft operated by an enterprise of a Contracting State, except when the ship or aircraft is operated solely between the places situated in one of the Contracting States;
- (g) the term "competent authority" means:
- (i) in the case of the Islamic Republic of Iran, the Minister of Economic Affairs and Finance or his authorized representative;
- (ii) in the case of Cyprus, the Minister of Finance or his authorized representative.
(2) As regards the application of the Agreement by a Contracting State, any term not defined therein shall, unless the context otherwise requires, have the meaning which it has under the laws of that State concerning the taxes to which the Agreement applies, any meaning under the applicable tax laws of that State prevailing over a meaning given to the term under other laws of that State.