(1) This Agreement shall apply to taxes on income imposed on behalf of a Contracting State or of its local authorities, irrespective of the manner in which they are levied.
(2) There shall be regarded as taxes on income all taxes imposed on total income, or on elements of income, including taxes on gains from the alienation of movable or immovable property, taxes on the total amounts of wages or salaries paid by enterprises, as well as taxes on capital appreciation.
(3) The existing taxes to which the Agreement shall apply are in particular:
- (a) in China:
- (i) the individual income tax;
- (ii) the income tax for enterprises with foreign investment and foreign enterprises;
- (hereafter referred to as “Chinese tax”)
- (b) in the case of the Islamic Republic of Iran:
- (i) the income tax;
- (hereafter referred to as “Iranian tax”).
(4) The Agreement shall also apply to any identical or substantially similar taxes which are imposed after the date of signature of the Agreement in addition to, or in place of, the existing taxes. The competent authorities of the Contracting States shall notify each other of any substantial changes which have been made in their respective taxation laws within a reasonable period of time after such changes.