(1) For the purposes of this Agreement, the term "permanent establishment" means a fixed place of business through which the business of an enterprise is wholly or partly carried on.
(2) The term "permanent establishment" includes especially:
- (a) a place of management;
- (b) a branch;
- (c) an office;
- (d) a factory;
- (e) a workshop;
- (f) a sales outlet; and
- (g) a mine, an oil or gas well, a quarry or any other place of extraction of natural resources.
- (a) A building site, a construction, assembly or installation project or supervisory activities in connection therewith, constitute a permanent establishment only if it lasts more than 12 (twelve) months.
- (b) The furnishing of services, including consultancy and administrative services, by an enterprise through employees or other personnel engaged by the enterprise for such purposes, constitute a permanent establishment but only if activities of that nature continue (for the same or a connected project) within a Contracting State for a period or periods aggregating 6 (six) months or more within any 12-month period.
(4) Notwithstanding the preceding provisions of this Article, the term "permanent establishment" shall be deemed not to include:
- (a) the use of facilities solely for the purpose of storage, display or delivery of goods or merchandise belonging to the enterprise;
- (b) the maintenance of a stock of goods or merchandise belonging to the enterprise solely for the purpose of storage, display or delivery;
- (c) the maintenance of a stock of goods or merchandise belonging to the enterprise solely for the purpose of processing by another enterprise;
- (d) the maintenance of a fixed place of business society for the purpose of purchasing goods or merchandise or of collecting information, for the enterprise;
- (e) the maintenance of a fixed place of business society for the purpose of carrying on, for the enterprise, any other activity of a preparatory or auxiliary character;
- (f) the maintenance of a fixed place of business solely for any combination of activities mentioned in sub-paragraphs (a) to (e), provided that the overall activity of the fixed place of business resulting from this combination is of a preparatory or auxiliary character.
(5) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraphs (1) and (2), where a person-other than an agent of an independent status to whom paragraph (6) applies-is acting on behalf of an enterprise and has, and habitually exercises, in a Contracting State an authority to conclude contracts in the name of the enterprise, that enterprise shall be deemed to have a permanent establishment in that State in respect of any activities which that person undertakes for the enterprise, unless the activities of such person are limited to those mentioned in paragraph (4) which, if exercised through a fixed place of business, would not make this fixed place of business a permanent establishment under the provisions of that paragraph.
(6) An enterprise shall not be deemed to have a permanent establishment in a Contracting State merely because it carries on business in that State through a broker, general commission agent or any other agent of an independent status, provided that such persons are acting in the ordinary course of their business.
(7) The fact that a company which is a resident of a Contracting State controls or is controlled by a company which is a resident of the other Contracting State, or which carries on business in that other State (whether through a permanent establishment or otherwise), shall hot of itself constitute either company a permanent establishment of the other.
(8) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraphs (1)), (2) and (3), an enterprise of a Contracting State, which carries on exploration, exploitation and extraction activities connected with natural hydrocarbons in the other Contracting State shall be deemed to carry on business in that other State through a permanent establishment situated therein, unless the activities in question are carried on in the other State for a period or periods of less than 30 days in any twelve-months period.