(1) For the purposes of this Convention, unless the context otherwise requires:
- (a) the term "Uganda" means: the Republic of Uganda;
- (b) the term "India" means the territory of India and includes the territorial sea and airspace above it, as well as any other maritime zone in which India has sovereign rights, other rights and jurisdictions, according to the Indian law and in accordance with international law, including the U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea;
- (c) the term "person" includes an individual, a company, a body of persons and any other entity which is defined as a person under the taxation laws in force in the respective Contracting States;
- (d) the term "company" means any body corporate or any entity which is treated as a body corporate for tax purposes;
- (e) the terms "enterprise of a Contracting State" and "enterprise of the other Contracting State" means respectively an enterprise carried on by a resident of a Contracting State and an enterprise carried on by a resident of the other Contracting State;
- (f) the term "international traffic" means any transport by a ship or aircraft operated by an enterprise which is a resident of a Contracting State, except when the ship or aircraft is operated solely between places in the other Contracting State;
- (g) the term "competent authority" means:
- (i) in Uganda: the Minister for Finance or his authorised representative;
- (ii) in India: the Central Government in the Ministry of Finance (Department of Revenue) or their authorised representative.
- (h) the term "national" means:
- (i) any individual possessing the nationality of a Contracting State;
- (ii) any legal person, partnership, association deriving its status as such from the taws in force in a Contracting State;
- (i) the term "fiscal year" means:
- (i) in the case of Uganda, the "year of income" as defined under Section 3 of the Income Tax Act, 1997;
- (ii) in the case of India, "previous year" as defined under section 3 of the Income Tax Act, 1961;
- (j) the term "tax" means Indian tax or Ugandan tax, as the context requires, but shall not include any amount which is payable in respect of any default or omission in relation to the taxes to which this Convention applies or which represents a penalty imposed relating to those taxes.
- (k) the terms "a Contracting State" and "the other Contracting State" mean Republic of Uganda or the Republic of India as the context requires.
(2) As regards the application of this Convention by a Contracting State any term not defined therein shall, unless the context otherwise requires, have the meaning which it has under the law of that State concerning the taxes to which the Convention applies.