Entry into Force
(1) The Contracting State shall notify each other in writing, through diplomatic channels, the completion of the procedure required by the respective laws for the entry into force of this Agreement.
(2) This Agreement shall enter into force thirty days after the receipt of the latter of the notifications referred to in paragraph (1) of this Article.
(3) The provisions of this Agreement shall have effect:
- (a) In Russia:
- (i) in respect of taxes withheld at source, to income arising on or after the first day of January in the calendar year next following the year in which this Agreement enters into force ;
- (ii) in respect of other taxes on income, to taxes arising for any fiscal year beginning on or after the first day of January next following the calendar year in which this Agreement enters into force.
- (b) In India:
- in respect of income arising in any fiscal year beginning on or after the first day of April next following the calendar year in which this Agreement enters into force.
(4) The provisions of this Agreement between the Government of the Union of the Soviet Socialist Republics and the Government of the Republic of India for the avoidance of double taxation of income signed in New Delhi on 20th of November, 1988 and subsequently extended to the Russian Federation on the basis of mutual agreement of the Contracting States shall cease to have effect on the date of coming into force of this Agreement.