(1) The existing taxes to which the Convention shall apply are:
- (a) in the case of New Zealand:
- (i) the income tax and the excess retention tax,
- (hereinafter referred to as "New Zealand tax");
- (b) in the case of India:
- (i) the income tax including any surcharge thereon and the surtax,
- (hereinafter referred to as "Indian tax").
(2) The Convention shall apply also to any identical or substantially similar taxes which are imposed after the date of signature of the Convention in addition to, or in place of, the existing taxes. The competent authorities of the Contracting States shall notify each other of any significant changes which have been made in their respective taxation laws.