(1) This Agreement shall apply to taxes on income imposed on behalf of a Contracting State or of its political subdivisions or local authorities, irrespective of the manner in which they are levied.
(2) There shall be regarded as taxes on income all taxes imposed on total income, or on elements of income, including taxes, on gains from the alienation of movable or immovable property and taxes on the total amount of wages or salaries paid by enterprises.
(3) The existing taxes to which the Agreement shall apply are in particular:
- (a) in Myanmar:
- (i) the income tax imposed under the Income Tax Law 1974 (Law No. 7 of 1974); and
- (ii) the profit tax imposed under the Profit Tax Law 1976 (Law No. 4 of 1976).
- (hereinafter referred to as "Myanmar tax");
- (b) in India:
- (i) the income tax, including any surcharge thereon;
- (hereinafter referred to as "Indian tax").
(4) The Agreement shall apply also to any identical or substantially similar taxes that are imposed by either Contracting State after the date of signature of the Agreement in addition to, or in place of, the existing taxes. The competent authorities of the Contracting States shall notify each other of any significant changes that have been made in their respective taxation laws.