(1) This Agreement shall apply to taxes on income imposed on behalf of a Contracting State or of its political sub-divisions or focal authorities, irrespective of the manner in which they are levied.
(2) There shall be regarded as taxes on income all taxes imposed on total income, or on elements of income, including taxes on gains from the alienation of movable or immovable property and taxes on the total amounts of wages or salaries paid by enterprises.
(3) The existing taxes to which the Agreement shall apply are in particular:
- (a) in the case of India:
- (1) the income-tax, including any surcharge thereon
- (hereinafter referred to as "Indian tax");
- *(b) in the case of Kuwait:
- (1) the corporate income tax;
- (2) the income tax as per Law No. 23 of 1961;
- (3) the tax subjected according to the Supporting of National Employees law.
- (hereinafter referred to as "Kuwaiti tax").
(4) This Agreement shall apply also to any identical or substantially similar taxes which are imposed under the laws of a Contracting State after the date of signature of the Agreement in addition to, or in place of the existing taxes. The competent authorities of the Contracting States shall notify each other of any significant changes which have been made in their respective taxation laws.