(1) This Agreement shall apply to taxes on income imposed on behalf of a Contracting State or of its political subdivisions or local authorities, irrespective of the manner in which they are levied.
(2) There shall be regarded as taxes on income all taxes imposed on total income, or on elements of income, including taxes on gains from the alienation of movable or immovable property and taxes on the total amount of wages or salaries paid by enterprises.
(3) The existing taxes to which the Agreement shall apply are in particular:
- (a) in India:
- (i) the income tax;
- including any surcharge thereon,
- (hereinafter referred to as "Indian tax");
- (b) in Iceland:
- (i) the income taxes to the State (tekjuskattarrikissjofis); and
- (ii) the income tax to the municipalities (utsvartillsveitarfelaganna);
- (hereinafter referred to as "Icelandic tax").
(4) The Agreement shall apply also to any identical or substantially similar taxes that are imposed after the date of signature of the Agreement in addition to, or in place of the existing taxes. The competent authorities of the Contracting States shall notify each other of any significant changes that have been made in their respective taxation laws.