Entry into Force
(1) This Convention shall be ratified and the instruments of ratification shall be exchanged at Colombo as soon as possible.
(2) This Convention shall enter into force on the thirtieth day after the date of exchange of the instruments of ratification and shall have effect:
- (a) in the Federal Republic of Germany, in respect of taxes which are levied in any assessment period beginning on or after the first day of January in the year following that in which this Convention enters into force;
- (b) in Sri Lanka, in respect of taxes which are levied for any year of assessment beginning on or after the first day of April in the year following that in which this Convention enters into force.
(3) Upon the entry into force of this Convention the Convention between the Government of the Federal Republic of Germany and the Government of Sri Lanka for the Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to Taxes on Income and Property signed at Colombo on 4th July, 1962, shall expire and shall cease to have effect as from the dates on which the provisions of this Convention commence to have effect.