(1) For the purposes of this Agreement, unless the context otherwise requires:
- (a) the term "Vietnam" means the Socialist Republic of Vietnam; when used in a geographical sense, it means all its national territory, including its territorial sea and any area beyond and adjacent to its territorial sea, within which Vietnam by Vietnamese legislation and in accordance with international law, has sovereign rights of exploration for and exploitation of natural resources of the seabed and its subsoil and superjacent waters;
- (b) the term "Czech Republic" means the territory of the Czech Republic over which, under the Czech legislation and in accordance with international law, the sovereign rights of the Czech Republic may be exercised;
- (c) the terms "a Contracting State" and "the other Contracting State" mean Vietnam or the Czech Republic as the context requires;
- (d) the term "person" includes an individual, a company and any other body of persons;
- (e) the term "company" means any body corporate or any entity which is treated as a body corporate for tax purposes;
- (f) the terms "enterprise of a Contracting State" and "enterprise of the other Contracting State" mean respectively an enterprise carried on by a resident of a Contracting State and an enterprise carried on by a resident of the other Contracting State;
- (g) the term "national" means:
- (i) any individual possessing the nationality of a Contracting State;
- (ii) any legal person, partnership and association deriving its status as such from the laws in force in a Contracting State;
- (h) the term "international traffic" means any transport by a ship or aircraft operated by an enterprise which has its place of effective management in a Contracting State, except when the ship or aircraft is operated solely between places in the other Contracting State; and
- (i) the term "competent authority" means:
- (i) in the case of Vietnam, the Minister of Finance or his authorized representative; and
- (ii) in the case of the Czech Republic, the Minister of Finance or his authorized representative.
(2) As regards the application of the Agreement by a Contracting State any term not defined therein shall, unless the context otherwise requires, have the meaning which it has under the law of that State concerning the taxes to which the Agreement applies.