(1) For the purposes of this Agreement, unless the context otherwise requires:
- (a) the term "Uzbekistan" means the Republic of Uzbekistan, and by the use in the geographical sense includes its territory, the territorial waters and airspace over them where the Republic of Uzbekistan may exercise sovereign rights and jurisdiction including rights to use the subsoil and natural resources in accordance with international law and the laws of the Republic of Uzbekistan;
- (b) the term "the Czech Republic" means the territory of the Czech Republic over which, under Czech legislation and in accordance with international law, the sovereign rights of the Czech Republic are exercised;
- (c) the terms "a Contracting State" and "the other Contracting State" mean the Czech Republic or the Republic of Uzbekistan, as the context requires;
- (d) the term "person" includes an individual, a company and any other body of persons;
- (e) the term "company" means any body corporate or any entity which is treated as a body corporate for tax purposes;
- (f) the terms "enterprise of a Contracting State" and "enterprise of the other Contracting State" mean respectively an enterprise carried on by a resident of a Contracting State and an enterprise carried on by a resident of the other Contracting State;
- (g) the term "international traffic" means any transport by a ship, aircraft, railway or road vehicle operated by an enterprise of a Contracting State, except when the ship, aircraft, railway or road vehicle is operated solely between places in the other Contracting State;
- (h) the term "competent authority" means:
- (i) in the case of Uzbekistan: the Chairman of the State Tax Committee of the Republic of Uzbekistan or his authorised representative; and
- (ii) in the case of the Czech Republic: the Minister of Finance of the Czech Republic or his authorised representative;
- (i) the term "national" means:
- (i) any individual possessing the nationality of a Contracting State;
- (ii) any legal person, partnership or association deriving its status as such from the laws in force in a Contracting State.
(2) As regards the application of this Agreement at any time by a Contracting State, any term not defined therein shall, unless the context otherwise requires, have the meaning that it has at that time under the laws of that Contracting State for the purposes of the taxes to which the Agreement applies. The meaning of a term under the taxation laws of that State shall have priority over the meaning provided for such term in other branches of law of that State.