(1) For the purposes of this Convention, unless the context otherwise requires:
- (i) the term "Philippines" means the territory of the Republic of the Philippines as defined in Article I of the Philippine Constitution and as provided for by existing laws;
- (ii) the term "the Czech Republic" means the territory of the Czech Republic over which, under Czech legislation and in accordance with international law, the sovereign rights of the Czech Republic are exercised;
- (b) the terms "a Contracting State" and "the other Contracting State" mean the Czech Republic or the Philippines, as the context requires;
- (c) the term "person" includes an individual, an estate, a trust, a company and any other body of persons;
- (d) the term "company" means any body corporate or any entity that is treated as a body corporate for tax purposes;
- (e) the terms "enterprise of a Contracting State" and "enterprise of the other Contracting State" mean respectively an enterprise carried on by a resident of a Contracting State and an enterprise carried on by a resident of the other Contracting State;
- (f) the term "international traffic" means any transport by a ship or aircraft operated by an enterprise which has its place of effective management in a Contracting State, except when the ship or aircraft is operated solely between places in the other Contracting State;
- (g) the term "national" means:
- (i) any individual possessing the nationality of a Contracting State;
- (ii) any legal person, partnership or association deriving its status as such from the laws in force in a Contracting State;
- (h) the term "competent authority" means:
- (i) in the case of the Philippines, the Secretary of Finance or the Commissioner of Internal Revenue or their authorized representative;
- (ii) in the case of the Czech Republic, the Minister of Finance or his authorized representative.
(2) As regards the application of the Convention at any time by a Contracting State, any term not defined therein shall, unless the context otherwise requires, have the meaning that it has at that time under the law of that State for the purposes of the taxes to which the Convention applies, any meaning under the applicable tax laws of that State prevailing over a meaning given to the term under other laws of that State.