(1) This Agreement shall apply to taxes on income and on capital imposed on behalf of a Contracting State or of its political subdivisions or local authorities or by local governments, irrespective of the manner in which they are levied.
(2) There shall be regarded as taxes on income all taxes imposed on total income, or on elements of income, including taxes on gains from the alienation of movable or immovable property and taxes on the total amounts of wages or salaries paid by enterprises as well as taxes on a realized capital appreciation.
(3) The existing taxes to which the Agreement shall apply are in particular:
- (a) in the case of the Slovak Republic:
- (i) the tax on income of individuals;
- (ii) the tax on income of legal persons;
- (hereinafter referred to as "Slovak tax");
- (b) in the case of the United Arab Emirates:
- (i) the income tax;
- (ii) the corporate tax;
- (hereinafter referred to as "U.A.E. tax").
(4) The Agreement shall apply also to any identical or substantially similar taxes that are imposed after the date of signature of this Agreement in addition to, or in place of, the existing taxes. The competent authorities of the Contracting States shall notify each other of any significant changes that have been made in their respective taxation laws.