(1) Interest derived from a Contracting State and paid to a resident of the other Contracting State shall be taxable in the other Contracting State.
(2) The term "interest" shall mean the income from debt-claims of every kind, whether or not secured by mortgage and whether or not carrying a right to participate in the debtor's profits, and in particular, income from Government securities and income from bonds, including premiums and prizes attached to such bonds. Penalty charges for late payment of debt bonds shall not be regarded as interest for the purposes of this Article.
(3) The provisions of paragraph (1) of this Article shall not apply if the beneficial owner of the interest, being a resident of a Contracting State, carries on business in the other Contracting State in which the interest arises, through a permanent establishment situated therein, or performs in that other Contracting State independent personal services from a fixed base situated therein, and the debt-claim in respect of which the interest is paid is effectively connected with such permanent establishment or fixed base. In such a case, the provisions of Article 7 or Article 14, as the case may be, shall apply.
(4) Interest shall be deemed to arise in a Contracting State when the debtor is that State itself, its local authority or a person resident in that State who has in one of the Contracting States a permanent establishment or fixed base for which the debt existed and generated interests, then such interests shall be deemed generated in the State in which the permanent establishment or fixed base is situated.
(5) Where, by reason of a special relationship, either between the debtor and the beneficial owner of the interest or between both of them and some other person, the amount of interest, having regard to the debt-claim for which it is paid, exceeds the amount which would have been agreed upon by the payer and the beneficial owner in the absence of such special relationship, the provisions of this Article shall apply only to the last-mentioned amount. In such case, the excess part of the payments shall remain taxable according to the laws of each Contracting State, due regard being had to the other provisions of this Convention.