(1) This Agreement shall apply to taxes on income imposed on behalf of a Contracting State, or of its local governments or local authorities or by administrative-territorial units thereof, irrespective of the manner in which they are levied.
(2) There shall be regarded as taxes on income all taxes imposed on total income or on elements of income, including taxes on gains from the alienation of movable or immovable property, as well as taxes on capital appreciation.
(3) The existing taxes to which this Agreement shall apply are in particular:
- (a) in the case of Romania:
- (i) tax on income;
- (ii) tax on profit;
- (hereinafter referred to as "Romanian tax").
- (b) in the case of the United Arab Emirates:
- (i) income tax;
- (ii) corporation tax;
- (hereinafter referred to as "U.A.E. tax").
(4) Nothing in this Agreement shall affect the right of the Federal Government of the United Arab Emirates, its local governments or local authorities to apply its own laws related to the taxation of income derived from the petroleum and natural resources; such activities will be taxed according to the law of the United Arab Emirates.
(5) The Agreement shall apply also to any identical or substantially similar taxes that are imposed after the date of signature of the Agreement in addition to, or in place of, the existing taxes. The competent authorities of the Contracting States shall notify each other of any significant changes that have been made in their taxation laws.