(1) This Convention shall apply to taxes on income imposed by a Contracting State, irrespective of the manner in which they are levied.
(2) There shall be regarded as taxes on income all taxes imposed on total income, or on elements of income, including taxes on gains from the alienation of movable or immovable property and taxes on the total amounts of wages or salaries paid by enterprises.
(3) The existing taxes to which this Convention shall apply are:
- (a) in Malta:
- (i) the income tax;
- (hereinafter referred to as "Malta tax");
- (b) in the United Arab Emirates:
- (i) income tax; and
- (ii) corporation tax;
- (hereinafter referred to as "U.A.E. tax").
(4) The Convention shall apply also to any identical or substantially similar taxes which are imposed after the date of signature of the Convention in addition to, or in place of, the existing taxes. The competent authorities of the Contracting States shall notify each other of any significant changes which have been made in their respective taxation laws.