(1) This Convention shall apply to taxes on income and on capital imposed on behalf of a Contracting State or of its local governments or local authorities, irrespective of the manner in which they are levied.
(2) There shall be regarded as taxes on income and on capital all taxes imposed on total income, on total capital, or on elements of income or of capital, including taxes on gains from the alienation of movable or immovable property, as well as taxes on capital appreciation.
(3) The existing taxes to which the Convention shall apply are in particular:
- (a) in Latvia:
- (i) the enterprise income tax (uznemumu ienakuma nodoklis);
- (ii) the personal income tax (iedzivotaju ienakuma nodoklis);
- (iii) the immovable property tax (nekustama ipasuma nodoklis);
- (hereinafter referred to as "Latvian tax");
- (b) in the United Arab Emirates:
- (i) income tax; and
- (ii) corporation tax;
- (hereinafter referred to as "United Arab Emirates tax").
(4) The Convention shall apply also to any identical or substantially similar taxes which are imposed after the date of signature of the Convention in addition to, or in place of, the existing taxes. The competent authorities of the Contracting States shall notify each other of any significant changes which have been made in their respective taxation laws.