(1) Interest arising in a Contracting Party and paid to a resident of the other Contracting Party shall be taxable only in that other Contracting Party.
(2) The term "interest" as used in this Article means income from debt-claims of every kind, whether or not secured by mortgage and whether or not carrying a right to participate in the debtor's profits, and in particular, income from government securities and income from bonds or debentures, including premiums and prizes attaching to such securities, bonds or debentures, as well as income which is subjected to the same taxation treatment as income from money lent by the taxation laws of the Contracting States in which the income arises. Penalty charges for late payment shall not be regarded as interest for the purposes of this Article.
(3) The provisions of paragraph 1 shall not apply if the beneficial owner of the interest, being a resident of a Party, carries on business in the other Party in which the interest arises, through a permanent establishment situated therein, or performs in that other Contracting Party independent personal services from a fixed base situated in that other Contracting Party, and the debt-claim in respect of which the interest is paid is effectively connected with such permanent establishment or fixed base. In such case the provisions of Article 8 or Article 15, as the case may be, shall apply.
(4) Interest shall be deemed to arise in a Party when the payer is a resident of that Party. Where, however, the person paying the interest, whether he is a resident of a Party or not, has in a Party a permanent establishment or a fixed base in connection with which the indebtedness on which the interest is paid was incurred, and such interest is borne by such permanent establishment or fixed base, then such interest shall be deemed to arise in the Party in which the permanent establishment or fixed base is situated.
(5) Where, by reason of a special relationship between the payer and the beneficial owner or between both of them and some other person, the amount of the interest, having regard to the debt-claim for which it is paid, exceeds the amount which would have been agreed upon by the payer and the beneficial owner in the absence of such relationship, the provisions of this Article shall apply only to the last-mentioned amount. In such case, the excess part of the payments shall remain taxable according to the laws of each Party, due regard being had to the other provisions of this Agreement.