(1) This Agreement shall apply to taxes on income imposed on behalf of a Contracting State or of its political subdivisions or local administrations, irrespective of the manner in which they are levied.
(2) There shall be regarded as taxes on income all taxes imposed on total income or on elements of income, including taxes on gains from the alienation of movable or immovable property.
(3) The existing taxes to which this Agreement shall apply are, in particular:
- (a) in Ecuador:
- (i) the income tax of individuals;
- (ii) the income tax of societies and other similar entities,
- (hereinafter referred as “Ecuadorian Tax”); and
- (b) in United Arab Emirates;
- (i) the income tax;
- (ii) the corporate tax,
- (hereinafter referred to as “UAE tax”).
(4) The Agreement shall apply also to any identical or substantially similar taxes that are imposed after the date of signature of this Agreement in addition to, or in place of, the existing taxes. The competent authorities of the Contracting States shall notify each other by the end of each year of any substantial changes, which have been made in their respective taxation laws.